From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:10:03 -0500
Gerald F. Pillay queried:

>Grateful for some help. My old friend recently wrote me thus:
>
>"...It is Haydn's "Strings for Sextet", more popularly
>known as "Serenade from Windsor"...."

Does your friend mean "Sextet for Strings" perhaps?

>The nearest I have got is the String Quartet Op 3 No2, the second movement
>of which has the famous petite Serenade one finds in the piano books.

Leafing through Haydn't work list in the New Groves (2nd ed.), I found
very little attributed the composer for string sextet, and even then the
works were either listed as spurious or doubtful.  I couldn't find the
title "Serenade for Windsor" either.  (Granted, I was looking for
complete works, not movements.)

There is one spurious work called the "Echo" divertimento (H.  II/39) which
is for two string trios.  Could this be it? And what of the possiblity the
sextet your friend knows is an arrangement?

Mark K. Ehlert