From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 08:05:01 -0400
Dear listeners, Thanks to all of you who have sent in your recommendations
for music that touches the spirit in trying times.  We've posted a list
of your responses on our website and we continue to feature them on our
program.  We on the staff of Performance Today have noticed we're listening
to music with greater appreciation these days, and your letters, phone
calls and e-mails show us music is touching you in a new way as well.

All the best to you,

COMING UP ON PERFORMANCE TODAY OCTOBER 6 - 12, 2001

KORVA COLEMAN IS HOST

Monday, OCTOBER 8

Hour 1 -- Canadian Thanksgiving in Studio 4A: The Canadian duo, cellist
Shauna Rolston and pianist Bernadene Blaha stop by Studio 4-A to play music
by Frederic Chopin, Samuel Barber and Manuel de Falla.

Hour 2 -- Canadian Thanksgiving, Part II: Quartetto Gelato in NPR's Studio
4A.  An accordion, an oboe, a violin and a guitar are just some of the
instruments this off-beat Canadian ensemble pulls into the mix.  Quartetto
Gelato joins Fred in the studio for tangos, waltzes, and Italian songs.

Tuesday, OCTOBER 9

Hour 1 -- The King of Instruments meets the symphony orchestra: From a
recent concert, Marin Alsop leads the Colorado Symphony in a performance
of Camille Saint-Saens' "Organ" Symphony No. 3.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with critics: It's one thing to read a review in
the paper when you have no stake in what the critic has to say.  But what
is it like for musicians to read reviews of their own performances? Our PT
answer-man Miles Hoffman joins Fred in the studio to come to terms with how
musicians respond to both positive and negative reviews.

Wednesday, OCTOBER 10

Hour 1 -- Gypsy Schubert: Piano sleuth and Piano Today columnist Joseph
Smith joins Fred to introduce and perform a piece inspired by the music of
Hungarian gypsies.  It's Schubert's Hungarian Melody played in NPR's Studio
4A.

Hour 2 -- Midsummer's Night's Dream in Boston: From last week's
opening night concert of the Boston Symphony's new season, we'll hear
the Incidental Music to "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by Felix Mendelssohn.
Music Director Seiji Ozawa leads the orchestra and Tanglewood Festival
Chorus.  They're joined by narrator and actress Blythe Danner, soprano Dawn
Upshaw and mezzo soprano Susan Graham.

Thursday, OCTOBER 11

Hour 1 -- Music for solace, remembrance and restoration picked by
Performance Today listeners.

Hour 2 -- Basic Sibelius: PT Basic Record library curator Ted Libbey joins
Fred to explore tone poems by a great innovator in the form, Finnish
composer Jean Sibelius.  Friday, OCTOBER 12

Hour 1 -- Musical offerings: We'll hear a sampling of music performed in
concert.

Hour 2 -- The Cypress String Quartet in Studio 4B: They're
highly-acclaimed young musicians from San Francisco and they're in the
studio all this hour for a private recital.  They'll play Ravel's only
quartet-- the String Quartet in F.

AND ON THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE: Listen to Talk of the Nation
Host Neal Conan interview Fred on music in response to September 11th...
Check out what music PT listeners are turning to for solace and comfort
....Listen to pianist Adam Neiman perform in NPR's Studio 4A....Take a
peek at the new NPR series--"In Rehearsal"....Listen to our hour in memory
of violinist Isaac Stern....  Order your copy of "Peter and the Wolf: A
Special Report." You'll find it all at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Don Lee
Executive Producer
Performance Today