From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:11:26 -0400
Dear Listeners,

As our summer festival coverage heats up, don't forget to enter our
Midsummer Music Contest.  You could win tickets for two to next year's
Grand Teton Music Festival in Wyoming.  Click here for more details:
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/features/contest.html.

On the show this week, look for performances from festivals around
the country including the Aspen Music Festival, the Boston Early Music
Festival, the Ravinia Festival, the Rockport Chamber Music Festival, and
many more.  The concerts are pouring in, and we'll bring you a sampling
of the very best music we hear.

I hope you can join us,

COMING UP ON NPR's PERFORMANCE TODAY
JUNE 25rd - 29th, 2001

KORVA COLEMAN IS HOST
Monday, JUNE 25

Hour 1 -- Live from Ravinia:  This hour, Fred Child joins Korva live from
this year's Ravinia Festival in Chicago.  He introduces a performance from
Sunday night, when conductor Christoph Eschenbach took a seat at the piano
to play Brahms.  We'll also hear how Eschenbach conducts, as we eavesdrop
on him leading the Houston Symphony Orchestra.

Hour 2 -- Dvorak in Florida:  Antonin Dvorak's first truly successful
symphony was his seventh.  We'll travel to Florida to hear conductor Fabio
Mechetti lead the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra in Dvorak's Symphony No.
7.

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Tuesday, JUNE 26

Hour 1 -- Basic training with Gerard Schwarz:  He's not a drill sergeant,
but he just spent a week helping train young musicians on the brink of
professional careers.  Gerard Schwarz joins Fred with some pointers on what
makes a good orchestra player.  (Schwarz is the conductor of the Seattle
Symphony; we caught him in Maryland, leading the National Orchestral
Institute at the University of Maryland in College Park.)

Hour 2 -- Did you know that most orchestra auditions are held behind a
screen? This hour, Miles Hoffman joins Fred to come to terms with the
audition process.  Plus, we'll hear music that judges use to test potential
orchestra members during an audition.

Wednesday, JUNE 27

Hour 1 -- How to dance the minuet:  Conductor Christopher Hogwood explains
what he learned about the minuet that has changed the way he conducts.

Hour 2 -- Rachmaninoff Dances:  Robert Spano conducts the Atlanta Symphony
Orchestra in the last piece of music Sergei Rachmaninoff wrote for
orchestra, his Symphonic Dances.

Thursday, JUNE 28

Hour 1 -- Atlanta's newest player...  baseball player, that is.  The
Baltimore Orioles may be losing Cal Ripken, but the Atlanta Braves have
gained a new team member--Atlanta Symphony conductor Robert Spano.  Susanna
Capelouto reports on how Spano and the ASO have become a part of the third
inning of every game at Atlanta's Turner Field.

Hour 2 -- Basic Debussy:  Ted Libbey joins Fred for a visit to the
20th century wing of the PT Basic Record Library, where Ted adds three
outstanding recordings of Claude Debussy's "La Mer" to the collection.

Friday, JUNE 29

Hour 1 -- A New Orleans original:  Louis Moreau Gottschalk took up the
creole songs, the spirituals, the Spanish music he heard in the streets
of New Orleans in the 1830s and 40s, and created his own brand of flashy
American music.  University of Michigan Professor Richard Crawford joins
Fred to make a case for Gottschalk.  He has just published America's
Musical Life:  A History (Norton), a book that traces styles of American
music, from sacred to jazz.

Hour 2 -- Musical offerings: We'll hear a sampling of music performed in
concert.

A PEEK AT NEXT WEEK

Monday, JULY 2

Hour 1 -- Menotti at 90:  Later this week, composer Gian Carlo Menotti will
celebrate his 90th birthday.  Fred talks to Menotti about his life and
musical legacy.

Wednesday, July 4 -- Independence Day

Hudson Shad in NPR's Studio 4A:  In the second hour of today's show, we'll
hear musical Americana from the men of Hudson Shad.  This world-renowned
vocal ensemble joins Fred in Studio 4A for patriotic hymns, war songs and
spirituals.

CHECK OUT THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE!!:  Listen to an interview
with conductor Sir Colin Davis....Read Terry Teachout's commentary on the
performance of Wagner's music in Israel....  Listen to an interview with
violinist Sarah Chang....  Get up-to-date on the latest additions to the PT
Basic Record Library....Order your copy of "Peter and the Wolf:  A Special
Report." You'll find it all at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/.

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>