From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:15:31 -0800
Mats Norrman ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>...  Jeffrey Tate is an interesting figure, but the only Mahler he has
>done lately as I know of is Mahlers arrangement of Schuberts "Death and
>the Maiden", which I heard a month ago.

You;re losing ground Mats!  tate recorded DatM in June 1985 a few days
after giving the UK premiere.  It's been deleted for some time I believe.

>Fritz Reiner is a conductor I have much respect for, could anyone provide
>a full discography of Reiners Mahler?? BTW - Reiners "Das Lied von der
>Erde" is wonderful!  And "Das Lied von der Erde" is a, in my opinion, in
>many ways underrated and misuderstood and a little neglected work.

Well, he recorded 4 with lisa della Casa - a performance I don't much care
for, particularly the finale.  She may have been a great Straussian but,
as Kiri te kanawa also showed, that doesn't make a great (or even good)
Mahlerian.

However:  Das Lied underrated and neglected? Many people consider it
Mahler's greatest work and many people who do not like Mahler's symphonies
consider it his *only* great work.

Deryk Barker

[And, to complete the spectrum, there are those who feel it's among his
 weakest compositions.  -Dave]