From:
Christopher Rosevear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:31:44 -0000
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>I don't think that the Rachmaninov qualifies as standard rep.  It's not
>programmed enough (which is a shame) nor is it universally familiar to the
>classical audience.

"universally familiar"?? Ouch!  What a minetrap!  Round here the standard
musical syllabus at Primary Schools includes the Isle of the Dead, Schnitke
Polymorphisms, Berio Sequenza 17 ....

For "accessible" 5/n rhythms, I expect Tchaik and Rach Isle must be in with
a chance.

But, can somebody tell me, is there not a Boccherini piece that sways and
dips in 5/n time? I know I have heard it in aeons past ....

Christopher Rosevear <[log in to unmask]>