From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:59:54 +0200
Kevin Sutton wondered:

>To wit: The author contends that Beethoven, impoverished and on his
>flea-ridden deathbed gladly accepted a gift of 100 pounds from the Royal
>Philharmonic Society in London.

Yes, that's correct, but don't believe the word "improverished." See below.

>This can't be correct can it? Surely the lion of Vienna did not live in
>such straits.  I was always under the impression that he died in relative
>financial good standing.  Did I completely miss something here or is this
>author destined for the National Enquirer?

Beethoven's financial circumstances during his last decade were not
really bad, but also not really good.  His income was dropping indeed.
Yet objectively spoken he had no reason to complain so loudly as he did
about his finances, but subjectively spoken he was very afraid that he
would impoverish.  He wrote an almost tearjerking letter to the Royal
Philharmonic and these guys were so friendly to send him that money.  After
his death it turned out that he had spent not one penny of the amount!

Greetings,
Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven