From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:07:25 +0200
Maybe I am not the only one who mainly loves or admires certain books,
plays, films because they contain one moment, one line, one scene that
touched me, electrified me, stayed with me for a long time or the rest
of my life.  And with music it is often the same, at least with me.  There
are a lot of magic moments of music for me, some come to mind right now,
in random order:

1.  The opening of hell in the last but one scene of Mozarts Don Giovanni:
ghastly scales display the opened inferno.

2.  Normas voice like a silver bird in flight over the ignorant chorus of
priests, in Casta Diva, the aria from Bellinis Norma.

3.  The offer of companionship to the Leierkastenmann (the last four lines)
in the last Lied of Schuberts Winterreise.

4.  The outburst of light in Haydns Creation.

5.  The beginning of Beethovens 9th Symphony:  first emptiness, then this
sudden fierce attack of uncompromising music.

What are some of your magic moments of music? I am very interested in
hearing from you.

Robert Peters