From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:05:38 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I'd like to hear the case for pure listening -- if I can call it that.
>What is the ideal way to approach a piece of music? How do you find good
>music? How should you listen to music? -- other than with an open heart?
>I think my general sentiment is clear.

You might find Copland's book, "What to listen for in music," to be of
interest.  "Besides the pleasurable sound of music and the expressive
feeling that it gives off, music does exist in terms of notes themselves
and of their manipulation.  Most listeners are not sufficiently conscious
of this third plane.  It will be largely the business of this book to make
them more aware of music on this plane."

Karl