From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:06:38 -0500
Chris Bonds:

>I'm curious to know if anyone here has, or knows someone who has, come
>to appreciate 20th-century atonal, pantonal, serial, etc.  music in vacuo,
>i.e.  in relative unfamiliarity with the music of earlier centuries.  I
>doubt it, but it's possible.

Count me in.  I, of course, knew some music from earlier centuries, but
I wouldn't have said I was deeply into it.  First serial work I heard was
Stravinsky's "The Dove Descending." Had no idea it was indeed serial or
even what serial music was (I was under 13).  By pure luck, I also heard
Stravinsky's "Movements" shortly after its premiere.  Again, I didn't know
it was serial.  Both these works sounded at least interesting and "The
Dove" was to me very beautiful.

Steve Schwartz