From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:14:22 -0500
Tom Connor wrote:

>I don't remember when, but WGBH had a fire in their studios sometime in the
>60's I believe and, I thought, lost many of these tapes.  Wouldn't I love to
>hear Munch performing Roussel Bacchus et Ariane.
>
>I'm curious if anyone knows how much was lost in this fire.

Quite a bit was lost including the 1960 Berkshire Festival and the 60-61
Season. Fortunately some of that can be reconstructed from private sources.
The bad news is that some of the Berkshire Festival stuff does not survive.
One hopes some things will turn up, stuff like Monteux doing the Bartok
Concerto for Orchestra.

In addition to the commercial recording, Munch can be heard in performances
of the Roussel in broadcasts from 1950-51; 61-62.

Karl