From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 21:20:55 -0400
Karl Miller wrote:

>If the BSO wanted to they could do a wonderful set of Piston's music, all
>from broadcast stuff. Munch did 2,3 (several times),4, 5, 6 (many times);
>the Toccata; 3 New England Sketches; Fantasy for English Horn; Second
>Suite and the Viola Concerto. Leinsdorf did a wonderful 4th, 7th and 8th.
>Most of those performances survive in wonderful broadcast tapes.

WGBH, who broadcast the BSO, has developed a significant tape library of the
orchestra.  There also was a telecast series from Harvard in the late 50s or
early 60s.  The orchestra would cross the river 6 or 7 times a season to
perform in one the the University's halls.

I don't remember when, but WGBH had a fire in their studios sometime in the
60's I believe and, I thought, lost many of these tapes.  Wouldn't I love to
hear Munch performing Roussel Bacchus et Ariane.

I'm curious if anyone knows how much was lost in this fire.

Regards,

Tom Connor