From:
Carol L'Esperance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:33:08 -0700
Michelle, I don't think that the article was at all derogatory about WIC. And I agree that WIC has done a lot to promote and support breastfeeding. WIC here in NM has done more to educate professionals than anyone else. They started and remain a big part of our state's task force. At one time (and perhaps still to a degree) the dietitians in the state were more knowledgable on how to help mothers with breastfeeding than any other health professional. They developed a state-wide peer counselor program. And our rates of initiation and duration have gotten better.  But I think we could do better. I think when you(a health organization) give free formula you give a double message, just like when you give out formula gift packs. I don't think this is like takin away Food Stamps because you are not taking away food. Mothers have milk for their babies. Formula can be given free if they have a reason they cannot breastfeed--HIV, galactosemia, etc. As far as choice, they can formula feed if they wish. They will just have to buy it. I don't like the idea that choice means that there are equal options. That impels us make those lists that we line up side by side. This is not a choice between equal options. When we give free formula, no matter how wonderful the breastfeeding program is, we are, I think, degrading women. We are telling them. It is OK for your babies to have second best. We don't want you to grow and increase your self esteem. We don't care if your babies are not as healthy and not as smart.  If we are really interested in the health of mothers, babies and children, we will stop giving free formula.
Comments/discussion?
Carol L'Esperance RN, MSN, IBCLC