From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:23:48 -0400
Carol wrote:
" When we give free formula, no matter how  wonderful the breastfeeding
program is, we are, I think, degrading women. We are telling them. It is
OK for your babies to have second best. We don't want you to grow and
increase your self esteem. We don't care if your babies are not as
healthy and not as smart.  If we are really interested in the health of
mothers, babies and children, we will stop giving free formula."

have to agree here.  I think we (I'm speaking of US) have a lot of
prejudice against people who are poor.  I think we are also NOT
child-centered.  Nor do we promote healthy children in the US.  We don't
care about poor women's babies.  They won't amount to anything anyway,
will be a drain on the system, just like their mothers and grandmothers.
Probably end up as crack dealers and gang bangers or pregnant at 15 y.o.
so what's the point of having them healthy and smart. [yes, I'm a little
cynical today].  We will also go to great lengths to deny these women
treatment, care, etc.  We will insist they get min. wage jobs and then
complain that they are living on the street b/c they can't afford
housing/phone/heat/food working at a min. wage job.  God forbid, we give
them usable job skills!

It's interesting.  I'm amazed at the number of strangers who will commend
my for staying home with my dtr., but will criticize a poor woman with
children for not working.
Check out www.libertynet.org/kwru for the "Poor People's Human Rights
Report on the United States."

Just my 2 quarts worth of NSHO.