From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:16:36 +1000
Mats Norman writes:

>Satoshi Akima suggests that Mahler started eating meat again to medicate
>his heartdisease:  This is not true.  Mahler gave up vegetarianism (and
>most of Wagners oddities which he was obsessed to) before his late
>thirties.  Kurt Blaukopf is one source here which spring to mind.

I heard this from a radio interview of Mahler's daughter that he became
obsessed with eating meat for his heart condition.  She seemed to give
impression that he gave up his vegetarianism because of it, suggesting
even that there was a certain hypocrisy in the attitude.  Perhaps she is
just not a reliable source of information.

Satoshi Akima
Sydney, Australia