From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:58:42 -0400
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]> reacted to my post:

>As to Denmark, I assume you are referring only to living symphonists
>(otherwise I should consider Holmboe a curious omission, but my reading
>skills are not what they could be and especially poor at one in the
>morning.)

Yes, definitely, I was referring to living symphonists.  Holmboe is one of
the greatest symphonists of the century IMHO, not just for the impressive
architecture of his works, but also for their utmost orchestral beauty.  I
could have added Niels Viggo Bentzon, who is still active as far as I know,
but I find him slightly less essential.  Norgard's 6th has been premiered
this year, I think.  I can understand that his symphonies are more or less
appreciated.  For myself, I was mesmerized by his 3rd at first hearing, and
repeated listenings have brought far more satisfaction than disappointment.

>What of Jean Rivier, by the by?  Again I realize you are concentrating on
>the still living, but this seems almost as good a place to ask as any, and
>he did write 8 quite substantial essays (of which I've heard #s 2 and 5,
>and skimmed several more in score.)

Rivier's symphonies are excellently crafted indeed.  I confess not being
so enthusiastic about them, finding them perhaps too sturdy for my tastes,
but there is no questioning their craftsmanship and dramatic power.  Maybe
# 7 ("les Contrastes") is the one I find of most lasting value, but I have
not heard several of them.  # 5 is fine as well.  Only the symphonies for
strings seem to be currently available on CD. It is true that many French
symphonies completed after WWII are more effective and attractive than
profound, but some would have deserved to stay in the repertoire, together
with the better-known ones by Messiaen and Dutilleux.  I am thinking of
Jolivet (#2 in particular), Nigg (Jerome-Bosch symphony), Le Flem (#3 and
4), Landowski's 1st...  Harsanyi's only symphony is brilliant, I have heard
most of it once and found a remarkably persuasive blend of Hungarian
vitality and French colours.  Desenclos's 2nd (the only surviving one) is
rather convincing as well, and stands somewhat apart, both in its
dimensions (more than 35 minutes) and its orchestral boldness which
surprisingly reminds me of Roy Harris.

>There is that.  And when speaking of symphonists holding positions of
>respect within their own countries you mention Finland; unless he died
>recently- I cannot recall offhand- one should not forget Sven-Einar
>Englund!

Englund's symphony no. 2 in particular was a landmark in the post-Sibelian
era, it has affinities with Prokofiev and Shostakovich but nevertheless
has a voice of its own, at once powerful and refined.  Unfortunately, he
passed away last year.  Among the living, Rautavaara, Sallinen and Aho in
particular are still prolific in the field (Rautavaara's 7th being one of
his very best), as well as Hammeeniemi and others; Heininen, one of the
most "modern" in the 1960's, seems to have abandoned the form, as well as
Merilainen, but they might decide to come back to it, as Salmenhaara did
with his neotonal 5th, 17 years after the 4th.  Nordgren (Pehr Henrik) also
keeps composing symphonies, and Kaipainen's 3rd seems to be in progress.
Finnish symphonists are not only still active but belong to a rather wide
stylistic range.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le