From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:06:40 -0700
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Incidentally, the original Columbia Masterworks LP issue (MS7178), had
>a gatefold sleeve, with the complete score printed on the inside - this
>must be virtually unique.

At least one CD reissue duplicated the stunt: CBS MK7178. I personally
prefer the Shanghai version (Celestial Harmonies 13026-2) where the
musicians were so baffled by the repeat ad libitum approach that they were
in the final motifs after 10m; so the conductor (WANG Yongji) reconstructed
the score as a rondo impromptu by selectively bringing back various musical
ideas. Not quite Gould kontra Wagner in the hey-mate,-which-page-are-we-on?
stakes; but still fun.

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>