From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:09:56 PDT
Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg wrote:

>I would be especially interested in your thoughts about the new
>Herreweghe version since I liked Bostridge (who sings the evangelist)
>very much in his lieder recordings.

Then there's no reason to delay the purchase of Herreweghe's great set.
Herreweghe's interpretation and his vocal soloists are excellent.  Suzuke's
version on BIS is also very good, but his soloists don't compare well to
Herreweghe's.  Gardiner's won a Gramophone award, but I don't feel he gets
to the core of the work.  Herreweghe's earlier SMP, also on Harmonia Mundi,
is almost as good as his new one, but I heard it was out of print.

Don Satz