From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 00:31:50 -0500
Jim Saunders wrote:

>Heartfelt and moving, yes.  Perfect . . . there's no such thing.  I just
>re-purchased the 1985 Herreweghe (someone said it's out of print, so I
>didn't want to miss having it again);

It is still in print.

>And Rene Jacobs isn't as abrasive as I remembered.  My favorite recording
>(intensely devotional, spiritual, unlike Gardiner), I think, overall.  But
>it's so different from the Klemperer (which I have and love) that it's hard
>to compare.  The Klemperer is nearly an HOUR longer!

I don't think so.  I will go back and check again, but both the Klemperer
and the Gardiner are on three discs and as I recall the Klemperer clocks in
at about 9-10 minutes longer than JEG.  Again I have to double check that,
but I hardly think that there is an extra hour.  The work on the average
takes about 2 and 1/2 hours to perform.

Kevin Sutton