From:
Bob Dubois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:29:18 CEST
A.Jorza wrote:

>In Bach's Brandenburg Concert 1 in the second Allegro but especially in the
>first allegro from Brandenburg Concert 2 there is a very queerly sounding
>instrument.  It is definitely some kind of a blowing instrument yet I
>couldn't figure it out what.

If you hear twice the same instrument, you can't miss a lot:

Br.Conc.1 (winds): Corno I & II, Oboe I-II-III, Fagotto (Bassoon).

Br.Conc.1 (winds): Tromba (trumpet), Flauto (flute), Oboe.

I hope I have served you with this, otherwise you must have another
performance (with wrong instruments).  I you still can't recognize is,
take the score and watch it!

Bob Dubois,
department musicology
University of Leuven, Belgium