From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 07:19:44 PDT
Ray Bayles wrote:

>I grew up on the Inventions played by Wanda Landowska...  Noisy
>recording but great music...  what do you think of her performances,
>Don?

Well, she naturally uses a style of playing Bach which is of an earlier
time.  It's interesting, and I have no doubt of her artistry and emotional
connection to Bach.  However, I do prefer the excellent more modern
recordings, and as Ray states, the recorded sound is noisy and does impact
my listening enjoyment.

Sometimes I can tune out sound problems, but I'm not as good at it as
some others on the list.  In the case of Landowska's recordings, the
performances just don't sweep me away sufficiently to disregard the sound
problems.

Don Satz