From:
Leslie Kinton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 10:18:43 -0500
It is my sad duty to report that pianist Pierre Souvairan died on the
morning of March 28 in Switzerland at the age of 89.  Mr.  Souvairan was a
student of Teichmuller, Cortot, and Serkin, and a close personal friend of
Stravinsky.  He was also my teacher, mentor and friend.

His concert career was modest only because he gave so much to his students.
Nevertheless, his performances of Franck's *Prelude, Chorale and Fugue*,
*Prelude, Aria and Finale* and the 13th Nocturne of Faure are the finest
I've ever heard, and his late Beethoven and Schumann were as great as any.

A memorial gathering is being planned at the Royal Conservatory of Music
in Toronto where he was a faculty member since 1953.  In fact, the day he
died, he was scheduled to arrive in Toronto to do some teaching and
performing.

I will post further information about the memorial as it becomes available
in case there are former students of his on the list who may wish to attend.

Leslie Kinton
The Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto.
Anagnoson and Kinton piano duo website: http://www.pianoduo.com