From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:05:29 +0000
I've resisted joining in (this time) for long enough (which is a repeat
of last time, when I didn't start on "Eroica Repeats" for a week or two),
but I have to point out that the repetitive nature of this thread (in
which the arguments are repeating themselves on the small scale just as the
example of what seems to me to be the only rational position yet proposed
by anyone:  the desirability of repeats is a variable and can only be
defined in relation to a particular listener / listmember / audience etc..
This thread was, IIRC, started by someone who wasn't with us last time
around and therefore was not already familiar with all the arguments that
were put forward at that time.  For him, and others in a similar position,
repeating the topic has (I hope) been worthwhile.  For many of us it has
been of slight interest as there has been little new material - or old
material presented in a different light.

Personally, I'd like to move on to the development section where, instead
of re-stating and re-re-stating our entrenched positions, we could try to
find ways of bringing them together into a harmonious resolution.  Or if
that's as impossible as I suspect, then on as quickly as possible to the
recapitulation:

"The composer is always and unarguably the final authority - end of (first)
subject"

"Times and circumstances change - a decision which may have been valid
(and equally may have been just conventional or even plain wrong) many
years ago cannot necessarily be regarded as sacrosanct here and now but
may be re-thought in the modern context"

Then a quick coda (Dave?) and on to another topic. Please . . . . [Given
the ridiculously nasty and childish posts I've declined (for the most
part) to distribute, I'm more tempted to simply pack it in.  This sort
of discussion certainly torpedos the idea that classical music lovers
are more sophisticated, cultured, or in any way more refined than the
"rabble".  Thoroughly disgusting.  -Dave]

I've long since trashed my old mail, so I apologise if I posted something
like this before. Twice.

Ian Crisp