HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:22:15 -0500
Christopher Fennell wrote:

> Announcing a new book by James Deetz and Patricia Scott Deetz --
>
> Now available:
> "THE TIMES OF THEIR LIVES: Life, Love, and Death in Plymouth Colony."
>
> Beginning with an eyewitness account of the first Thanksgiving

Wrong. Unless they were snowbirds going south for the winter. Far be it from me
to be immoderately iconoclastic, but the Pilgrims celebrated the second
Thanksgiving, not the first. That honor went to Berkeley Plantation in Charles
City County, Virginia. It was so decreed by then President Kennedy.

I, too, was taught the Pilgrim Thanksgiving factoid in grade school and find it
amusing that it's still a prevalent misconception.

Anyone for correcting the history books or do I hear an historical steamroller
in the distance?

Lyle