HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:55:03 -0500
Back in the 1970's, I remember reading about someone in Britain using a
Multi-Dimensional Scaling (MDS) program to reconstruct town layouts from
deed descriptions. I believe it was French developed as part of the
story was that all of the Departments in France had been listed by name
and the name of contiguous Departments. The program drew a map of France
but with the Channel Islands stuck to the mainland as it had no idea of
distance. Apparently, the shapes were also approximately correct.

Someone had spent years working out the layout of a town in Britain by
hand (?Bedford), and when the MDS program got it, the result was done in
a few minutes. The original layouts were given roughly as Smith at the
corner of St. Mary's Lane and Pigg Lane and Jones as on St. Mary's Lane,
next to Smith and so on.

If anyone out there has that reference, would they please pass it on as
I would like to revisit its use now that MDS programs are less than
exhorbitant.

Thanks in advance,

Lyle