HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:19:46 +0000
There has been a lot of this work done in Britain though not all
published. The most famous case studies are those by Derek Keene for
Winchester (the bible) and Cheapside in London. Unfortunately after a
large Italian meal and a lot of wine I can't find the reference to the
latter though there is a summary in vol 7 of the Lubecker Schriften. The
most important Continental study from the point of view of integrating
archaeology is that by Hemmy Clevis for Nijmegen. There are also a
number of studies done from a purely historical point of view eg Rolf
Hammel's work in Lubeck is close to home for you. Essental reading is
the paper by Hammel and Alfred Falk on the possibilities of integrating
the archeology and history. Hope this of help.

Hammel, ROLF   1987 Hauseigentum im spatmittelalterlichen Lubeck in
Lubecker Schriften zur Archaologie und Kukturgeschicte 10: 85-300

FALK, ALFRED and HEMMEL, ROLF1987   Möglichkeiten einer terdisziplinaren
Auswertung der archäologischen und schriftlichen Quellen. In Lübecker
Schriften zur Archäologie und Kulturgeschicte 10: 301-8.

KEENE, DEREK 1985   Survey of Medieval Winchester. The Clarendon Press,
Oxford, England.

CLEVIS, HEMMY 1987 & 1988 Nijmegen: investigations into the historical
topography and development of the lower town between 1300 and 1500. In
Berichten van de Rijksdienst voor het Oudheidkundig Bodemonderzoek part
i, 37 (1987): 275-390 with supplementary plans in folder; parts ii and
iii, 38 (1988): 431-542.

In message <[log in to unmask]>, geoff carver
<[log in to unmask]> writes

--
paul courtney