From:
Patty Spanjer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:10:17 -0500
> The fact that the use of a nipple shield
>didn't decrease the pain leads me to believe that previous sexual abuse is
>possible.  Mom apparently did not report pain with pumping ... It may be that
>this mother would rather stop breastfeeding than delve into her personal
>history with lactation consultants and counselors,

Sometimes women are not really aware of the extent of sexual abuse they
suffered as children.  They may have a vague memory and can not see how it
would apply to breastfeeding.  In some cases they have no real memory of
what happened to them, but certain things make them very uncomfortable.
Therefore they are unable to tell anyone about this history.  And even if
they are aware, it is a *very* difficult thing to share!--with anyone!!
Patty Spanjer
IBCLC
Dalton, GA