From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 19:03:21 +0100
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Very interesting, I'm sure you'll agree.  Maybe Brahms did receive the
>spirit of Haydn from Mozart.

There might be some truth in that as Brahms composition technique is
similar to Mozarts.  At least more than to Beethoven.

Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I can think of one Haydn Symphony 103 "Drum Roll" [...]  The
>seeds of romanticism have been sown.

Of course, if one wants one could see the seeds to romanticism in Haydn.
The Adagio in G Hob.  XV:22 II has most of the characteristica of a
romantic piece.  A piece that BTW was composed before for example "Arietta
con dodici Variazioni", which is so classical a piece can be.

I am so splitted up in the question about Brahms' 2.  Pianoconcerto, a
piece that few pianists like BTW...The opening tunes with the horn and the
piano are so simple (I don't use the word as a negative) and perfect...If
Brahms had got along in that style the whole long road (through the forest)
he had created the world historys most beautiful Pianoconcerto.  But of
course, just aftersome half a minute he starts to screw things up.

Thomas Heilman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Donald Satz writes:
>
>>Being in a positive frame of mind but as contrary as ever, I'd rather think
>>about great opening passages:
>
>My favorite, without explanation: the Bruckner 3rd.  Eerie as hell!

That was a favouriute of Wagners too!...at least when it comes to anecdote.
Wagner had accepted that Bruckner should dedicate one of his symphonies to
him, but he asked "Which one?", and Bruckner started to describe his 3.
Symphony. "Aha!" said Wagner, "the trumpet one!".

Mats Norrman