From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 23:02:40 +0100
Donald Satz writes (on Haydn symphonies):

>I noticed that a set from Bruggen (82-87?) is finally making its way into
>the USA.  Any opinions on his performances?

There IS a set of the Paris symphonies by Bruggen and the Orchestra of the
Eighteenth Century.  I can strongly recommend these.  They are played quite
crisply, with a lot of "punch" in them.  Bruggen manages in my opinion to
bring out to the best some of the elements in Haydn's music that made him
the musical revolutionary he was.  His modulations, his sense of using
orchestral and textural shades in the variations that frequently are the
stuff of what the slow movements are made of, all this is really exploited
to the full by Bruggen and his excellent playing band.  The use of period
instruments every so often points out what brilliant ideas Haydn must have
had on orchestration.  And Donald, in another post you seemed to hint at
liking the "martial" aspects of Haydn's War-Mass....  I'd suggest you'd
listen in on "La Reine" and marvel at some kettle-drumming....

By the way, your recommendation of Colin Davis' cycle with the
Concertgebouw Orkest is a very good one as well.  I have also always been
very fond of these recordings as well.  IMHO Davis treats the music very
differently compared to Bruggen, making a lot of the phrasing of the melody
lines.  This is yet another aspect of Haydn's greatness.

greetings,

Jos