Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 23:28:10 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (66 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

So I had decided not to write anything about my recent (7/6/2013) visit because, well, it was ok but there was one big problem: the place was way too crowded.  It was not a good experience for either myself or my daughter, for that one reason alone. No, I take that back, it was also way too expensive for a bad experience.  $25 dollars each and we were elbow to elbow and just ended up leaving out of frustration.  The new facility is nice (a better black box), the few new exhibits and spaces were up to par, but overall not what I had hoped for.  

I realized it was a holiday weekend and expected large visitor ship. But I was also told to get there early since it would sell out. I do not know if it did or didn't that day, but either way they were letting too many bodies in the door.  Probably didn't hit the "max occupancy" but that should not be the measure of the proper amount of visitors to allow in.  At $25 a ticket you should expect something better.

So with that said, what the heck is that place supposed to be like when there are 7,000 folks a day passing thru the doors?

I'm really sorry to hear that all those staff members lost their jobs. But I think the model for operations may be a bit flawed.

This is all just my humble opinion and I am sure there are many issues and facts I am not aware of but all-in-all I felt the place was not that different from what I experienced during my first visit in 1983 or repeat visits in the 90's and again in 2006. EXCEPT the price and the overcrowding. 

Erich

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746
512-626-9930; [log in to unmask]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erichrose/

On Aug 16, 2013, at 9:55 PM, Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> The article reflects events, and the extensive comments reflect some obvious public sentiments and anger. What's surprising and sad is the lack of compassion in the public domain; a zenith and nadir in the first 4 months.
> 
> C
> http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articleComments/Exploratorium-cuts-18-of-staff-as-attendance-lags-4737148.php?gta=commentlistpos#commentlistpos
> 
> 
> Sent from Charlie Carlson's iPad
> [log in to unmask]
> Cell 510-499-8086
> Try me on Skype (510) 984-3543
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2