Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:52:45 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
Magda, The other Semba study you mentioned in your post is truly not another study.  Or at least that's the way it looks to me--same breast milk samples--frozen 2 years old, etc.--same site, Malawi, same dates, same hospital.  The only difference is that they looked at lactoferrin levels.  It is called "Human immunodeficiency virus load in breast milk, mastitis, and mother-to-child transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type I.  J Infec Dis 1999; 180: 93-98.  If I can find my notes, you can access this study(I have the web site somewhere?)And, of course I have the same problems with this study as the other Semba study.  I got very confused when I was looking at the Semba study in the JHL, when one of the references is to the other Semba study.  What it says in the JHL article is that,"We have previously shown in a study in Malawi that mastitis is associated with elevated HIV load..."(Semba, JHL, p.301) and then footnotes that to the Semba study in Journal of Infectious Disease.  Previously shown?  I'm no scientist, maybe someone who is can explain this to me!  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2