Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:00:28 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I saw an interesting case that I would love to hear other people's thoughts on.  6th birth for mother, baby born 36 weeks at 2.200. C-sec due to high blood pressure.  Baby is 2 weeks old, at 1 week worked with C-S therapist because mom reported that not only did baby notatch but also let bottle drip into mouth.  Mom noticed a huge improvement in suck but still couldn't get to take nipple.  The nipple is nice, protruding, nromal to large size.  Mom tried silicon to help baby, still with no success.  After C-S therapy baby takes Nuk nipple all expressed breast milk and does fine with it.  Gaining.
But has never been at the breast.  The baby's suck felt totally normal on digital exam.  Would not even give one suck at breast.  With silicon would not even give one suck to draw the nipple forward a drop.  Let the milk pour in.  No breast compressions got the baby sucking.  Actually nothing did.  Even syringing to get her going.  When switched to the bottle did fine.  It almost looked like some oral aversion, but did fine with finger and bottle.  On breast, the baby would never get to second base.  The suck DID NOT feel weak on a finger.
I am stumped, it was the first time I saw something like this.  Mom is continuing pumping, of course.  Any thoughts?
Please respond privately as well as to the list.
Thanks a million,
Jessica Billowitz, IBCLC
Israel

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2