Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:22:22 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
I would love some help from the collective wisdom of this group.  I have permission to post.

4 month old baby presenting with grassy green, jelly like stools.  Fully breastfed since birth.  Thriving and meeting expected milestones.  Problem started at about 6 weeks of age after mum had mastitis and had a course of antibiotics.  Baby started having frequent green slimy stools with stringy bits in.  (Sorry about the descriptive nature of this post!).  He has bouts of colic like pain during the day and night and wakes frequently with these.  Settles reasonably well with a quick feed or being carried around in an upright position.  Otherwise a happy baby.

Mum has had him checked by the family doctor and now a Paediatrician.  A stool sample came back negative for any infections but positive for lactose intolerance (according to the Paediatrician).  Mum has been advised that she can keep breastfeeding but he may do better on a lactose free formula.

Mum is certainly keen to keep breastfeeding, especially as she fed her toddler for nearly a year.  But of course her energy and confidence is flagging with the frequent night waking of this wee boy.  My advice has been to keep feeding and I intend to do an intensive search for more info (it will take time as I have a very slow, old computer).  Meanwhile I would be glad of some of your thoughts.

Mum also asks if starting him on solids soon may help.  She tried some farex (cereal) mixed with a little formula and the bowel motions turned to slimy yellow.

Any ideas?

karen Palmer
Midwife

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2