Here in Santa Barbara, we are heading into autumn.  One would think that
the bees would begin slowing down.  Unfortunately maybe this new weather
pattern, El Nino, has nature in a confusion. The Blue Gum Eucalyptus trees
are already flowering; normally they don't do this until Dec. after a few
rains.

The bees are still on the move. I have been getting a few swarm calls. The
sizes of the swarms are very small so it makes me think that these are
"suicide swarms" or mite-absconding swarms, perhaps trying to get away from
a dying colony.  I know this phenomenon is seen in AHB, multiple swarms to
break the mite cycle. Perhaps we will begin seeing this in the North
American feral population.

 Anyway I have a bee removal project,  and need to make a small nuc.  Are
there are queens available at this time of the year?  SOmeone mentioned
that I can get one from Hawaii.  Any "Kona" queens out there?

Looking for the rains to start in Santa Barbara to begin a **better** honey
year.

Paul Cronshaw DC
Cyebrchiro
Hobby Beekeeper in Santa Barbara