Tornado activity in the area, heavy rains and winds of 40 MPH with gusts to
80 MPH at the airport have brought another new experience to this fledgling
beekeeper.  A gut feeling suggested I go out and check my bees a couple
hours after the worst of the storm.

When I got out to the property, I found that the high winds had bent my
purple martin house/pole to the ground.  I could also see the heavy plastic
hive cover and inner covers laying on the ground about 30 feet from the
hive.  Why the inner cover isn't in the next county, I have no idea.

Needless to say, the bees were soaked.  I removed an outer frame that hasn't
been worked yet and space the other frames out a bit to allow the bees a
little more ventilation and a chance to dry out.  I plan to put the removed
frame back in later today (weather allowing) or tomorrow.

Are there any particular problems I can look forward to as a result of my
bees beeing exposed to wind, rain and getting a good soaking?  BTW, there
are now two big bricks on top my hive cover.  Better late than never, I guess.

Other questions:

        Out of curiosity, how many bees to the pound?  <grin>  I received 3
pounds of bees as a starter and am curious as to approximately how many bees
that would have been.  I've read that a strong hive will have up 30,000
little gals.

John Taylor
LifeBeat Air Medical
http://www.cris.com/~Johntrn1/index.shtml
When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!