Dear friends,  Things happen fast when you get on
Internet's Bee Line.  I now have an assignment from New
Scientist to write a feature on the bumblebee
pollination business and Africanized bees invading
North America.  I would appreciate hearing from
researchers who have news or good color photos for this
article.  I intend to cover the (apparent) failure of
breeding European genes into the Africanized bees,
their likely flyways (someone is using GIS for this),
any hints of punitive legislation, plans by growers of
crops (alfalfa?  Cotton? Almonds?) which might be hard
hit by a bee-ban to do anything else, etc.

I wrote an article on the USDA and Africanized bees a
couple of years ago for The Scientist (Rinderer,
Collins and Taylor).  I would like to talk to others
this time out.

Jonathan D. Beard
820 West End Avenue 3B
New York City 10025-5328