>True that, but they also produce an amazing amount of honey in a short time ...

Provided that there is a good flow on of course.  Many a time I have seen a prime swarm just dwindle away when the weather has been against them.  The population of a swarm reduces quite rapidly after it has set up house - pointing to the fact that there must be a fair proportion of older bees.

I think the evidence suggests that swarms must have a good mix of old and young bees.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W