"I think I make it pretty clear when I post excerpts from papers I have read that the writing is the author's and not mine."

I have to admit, I've always wondered what the list has against quotation marks. People use symbols like >, but I'm sometimes confused about what is quoted material and what is original material. It sort of sinks in after a time, but for new readers, I imagine it can be quite confusing.