Dear collective wisdom,

the question of whether beginners can open hives too often came up.  Some
of my experienced colleagues suggested that it takes 2 or 3 days for the
hive to recover from inspection and this causes a setback.  My advice has
always been to inspect frequently and learn what normal looks like so you
can recognise abnormal.

Technique may play a part as there's obviously a difference between
gloveless and gentle compared to full suit of armour and bashing them
around.

I went to Google (Scholar too) to see if there is any evidence for
inspection setback and drew a blank (perhaps my poor choice of search
terms, or maybe it was done and dusted 100 years ago).  Anyone care to chip
in?

Thanks and seasons greetings,
Andrew Wootton