>  is there a proper way to store syrup?

Work by Dr Blaise LeBlanc suggests that if you neutralize the acidity, and
store in a plastic container in a cool place, that you can minimize HMF
formation.

Get a pH test kit or papers.  pH 7 is neutral, lower is more acidic
(chemists please don't jump on me--I know the difference between acidity and
pH).  If the syrup is at pH 5 or lower, I'd be very concerned if it's been
stored in a warm place, esp. if the syrup has darkened.

If it's still clear, you can neutralize it to pH 7 by thoroughly stirring in
baking soda, or a little bit of lye (be really careful not to overdo it with
lye).

Randy Oliver