Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:34:42 -0500
From: "Dr. Pedro P Rodriguez" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Hormesis

Good morning fellow beekeepers.
     I have watched (and read) with zeal the continuous outpouring on the use of copper salts for the treatment of bee mites.  It is admirable to pursue as many ways to combat these as one might possibly conceive, but there has to be a reasoned, carefully planed mode of action to prevent damage
to the bees and possible injury to consumers of honey.
     Copper per se is an essential element for the metabolism of higher animals.  I have yet to see reports regarding how copper interacts with the metabolism of honey bees, especially since their anatomy and metabolism is different from them. Even though large dosages of copper have been demonstrated not to be toxic to some animals, metallic elements (including copper) administered in small doses have a tendency to accumulate and eventually become toxic to those subjected to those small dosages.
     I imagine, that it is possible that such small dosages will not have any effect on honey bees because of their relative short life span. However, I am seriously concerned about the effects that these small (hormetic) dosages will do to human beings (especially children and the elderly) who consume honey with copper residues that may accrue in honey from such "hormetic" treatments.
   I believe that there is a real need to consider the risk involved at least until accredited laboratory testing is conducted to ascertain that there are no risks involved in consuming honey from colonies treated with any form of copper salts.  Are there any such studies? If so, the public needs to know.
Sincerely.
Dr. Pedro Pablo Rodriguez
Virginia Beach, Va