I removed a swarm/colony from underneath a gable off of someone's master
bedroom here in Eastern MA last week. It had constructed a 9 inch by 6 inch
comb (exposed, an external colony, not behind the wall). It had only been
there a very short time. The queen was mated and laying.

The comb was completely hidden beneath the cluster of bees, resulting in some
surprises when I did my usual manipulations to catch a swarm (swarm bees =
gentle, colony bees = defend home to the death). Glad I was wearing my bee
suit, and my bee vac investment paid off.

It's been a wet summer here too. In the archives, one person implied a
connection between a warm September and late swarms. However, it's been a
cooler than usual summer here.

Anybody out there with the long view (or data) who is willing to assert (or
refute) a correlation between weather, temperature and late swarms that would
allow us to knowledgably predict the climate patterns that lead to more late
swarms?