From:
Ed Sterling <SIMXT@UOTTAWA>
Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <BEE-L@ALBNYVM1>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 89 00:40:02 EDT
I have more fun just keeping bees than worrying about the marketing
and sales of my honey, so I have accumulated a few large food service
pails of honey, some of which are 5 and 6 years old now.

In my readings I have been led to believe that due to honey's density,
it will not permit mold or bacteria (including botulin?) to grow
in/on it. Is that true? This honey was quite thick originally and
crystallized very quickly.

In summary, is there any reason why honey cannot be kept for a long
time in such food service buckets, and perhaps after skimming an inch
of the top, be quite safe to eat?

Ed Sterling
Hobbyist