From:
Jeff Danks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <BEE-L@ALBNYVM1>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 90 16:28:48 CDT
Hello all....
   Let me preface by saying that we have an informal group of beekeepers.
One of our number has access to several old hives that have been stored
in a shed for 8 to 10 years. The wood in most supers and brood boxes is
sound, however the wax moths have removed all traces of comb and foundation,
and the mice have nested in a couple of them. The question we have been
debating is if these old hives should be used or not? Some argue that there
might be some form of persistant contamination (foul brood, etc.) and the
hives should be destroyed. Others say that after 10 years any contamination
is gone and the hives could be used.
   The questions I (we) have is how persistant are the various diseases and
fungi that can infect our behives? Can hives 10 years old be used safley?
   Thank you for any info on these questions.

**        |     |     |         |     UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS
**        |_____|_____|_____    |       AT FAYETTEVILLE
**        |     |     |         |     BITNET: JD85103 @ UAFSYSA
**                              |             JD85103 @ UAFSYSB
**