From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:33:38 EST
Bob

I wish we had a list of the top five candidates, but we don't.  We've  a bit
more information about what its not, but even that is based on inadequate
information, mostly from surveys -- because we mainly catch this thing  after the
colonies have crashed and the bees are gone, because beekeepers won't  tell
us that they have a problem - so we can't get samples, and because people
spend more time and energy making guesses about causes CCD and listing all of  the
reasons about why they have the answer, than they do on filling out surveys,
volunteering to take samples, and other activities that might help us sort
this out.

My apologies for being blunt, but it takes little effort to hold forth on a
favorite theory, much more to do something about the problem.

If everyone on this list would skip one day of on-line time on Bee-L and  use
that time to fill out a survey (_www.beesurvey.com_
(http://www.beesurvey.com) ), I could at least get  enough input to more reasonably rule out some of
the possible causes -- but I'm  not basing recommendations on a hand full of
inputs.  So far, I have  an insignificant number of returns to make any
meaningful declarations.   But the early returns certainly contain some hints that may
or may not prove  out.  But if I tell you too much before getting any more
returns, I will  bias the outcome as people fill out survey to either prove me
right or  wrong.

I'm focusing on surveys because they could provide immediate  insights.  In
theory, the only time constraint is how long it takes people  to download, fill
out, and mail back or fill out on-line - which shouldn't take  more than an
hour or so, even for large beekeepers.  I'd like to see an  avalanche of
surveys by this coming Wednesday - but I have no control over  that.  All of the bee
equipment suppliers and national associations have  promised to help
distribute surveys - but it can happen now, if the list were to  respond, and if every
member of this list would contact beekeepers who don't  belong to the list.
In fact, the computer literate members of this list  could down load forms for
those who don't use computers.

The disease (virus, nosema, amoeba, fungi, etc.), chemical (disease
produced, pesticide, beekeeper introduced, industrial), and other lab-based  tools and
procedures that we are using are on a bit of a witch hunt, which  mean we
have some specific ideas that so far haven't been revealing any smoking  guns,
and lots and lots of other candidates, some known, some suspected, and  some
unknown to look at.

Remember, we were only in CA a week ago, and comparing east coast with west
coast samples is critical.  The initial wave of CCD in the east revealed  lots
of things, like the fungi that Dennis suspects, but we need time to see if
its in the colonies on the west coast -- at least those that did were not
transported from the east.

So, it will take time, and it will cost money for the disease and chemical
work.  The survey work could be done in less than a week, if beekeepers  were
to respond.  That in my mind is the fastest way to narrow the field of
possibilities - at least as far as management practices that may either mitigate  or
may induce expression of the CCD.

Jerry
http://www.aol.com.