From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:13:32 +0200
We were talking about SC tests last winter, and I said I would try to
make my bees draw out 4,9 the way Dennis suggested. Well I did try. I
gave 12 hives SC foundation early in spring, one by one in the center
of brood nest.

They didn't like that foundation at all, made a total mess of it
trying to rebuild to 5,3. One colony actually managed to get a nice
looking 5,3 pattern and used it for brood through the summer. But
almost all colonies left the frames empty all summer. SC frames were
sitting there in the middle of the box totally empty except a few
drone cells! Looks like the queens didn't lay in them due to the
strange cell sizes. Workers kept cleaning them and leaving them empty.
After 3 SC frames in each hive I gave up, the bees were not building
up properly. There were only brood on one side when the empty SC
frames were acting like dividers in the middle of hive. So I moved
them to one side, where they were sitting still empty until autumn.

I decided to give it one last try when wintering. Moved all brood
frames down to bottom box and gave them a full frame of SC foundation
on top. Same result, bees totally rebuilt it to the same mess.

So Dennis, it doesn't work here with my bees. From previous experience
I know they are reluctant to draw even 5,1 so it didn't come as a big
surprise to me. But you need to try to know... Seems an average of
what my bees regards as natural is 5,3 mm.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
http://beeman.se