From:
Michael Housel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:58:47 EST
Orange growers in Florida had a problem with "citrus canker."

The problem has been in Florida since the 1900 or 1901.  We spend more for
its correction yearly then the bees have gotten in history here.  Florida is
the only or one of the only that has full time bee inspectors.  The money
spent on canker has not cleared it but the Citrus Commission has money to
work with.  The canker team has made the best city maps available.  If the
beekeepers had the money behind them, like the citrus then we could get the
labs funded.  The problem is that the few beekeepers that make a living at
beekeeping are not able to fund the research.  One of the reasons is that the
costs of operation is the low income.  The hobbyists and the migration
beekeepers need money from the operations.  Things like pollination 50
dollars per hive per month minim.  Honey prices that reflect a profit 1.00
per pound.  This price would bring in honey from outside the country and will
not benefit US honey.
       The problem is that the beekeepers are not only not making any money,
but the city and developments have pushed the beekeepers out.  We are losing
the process of keeping our operations as well as areas to keep bees.
       If we take a penny from the operations it is just another penny we
have to add to the money we add each year to stay in operation.  So who is
going to help: the honey board, the honey sales, maybe the wax sales, maybe
the genetic engineered crops, government labs that we can't afford the
chemicals after they develop them?  Maybe raise the cost of the pollination
to reflect profit.  Maybe special tax all honey sold in the US to go to the
research.  Which will help the beekeepers all over the world when the answers
are found?