Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 08:24:05 -0400
On March 1,  I purchased a nuc hive and placed it in a standard hive body.
Since I use screen bottoms, I can observe the hive from beneath.  On the
29th it was boiling with bee and all the frame bottoms were covered with
bees.  At that time I was advised to add a honey super without  a queen
excluder by one veteran beekeeper.  He said that the bee would be reluctant
to go up through the excluder, and that I should wait about three or four
days, then add the plastic excluder under the super.  This technique is not
discussed anywhere in the books that I have.  Most say to just add the
excluder at the time the honey super is placed on the hive.  What is the
course of action I should follow?  I have three other hives that were
started from three pound packages on the 29th, so I need this information
for them as well.  I am in a flow  here in North Florida..Thanks in advance
for your input.  Will Lewis...NOVICE FIRST CLASS..