From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:11:42 -0800
Trevor asked:
> Has anyone else looked at this [nosema]sampling error?

Hi Trevor,
I've looked at hundreds of samples and subsamples over the past several
weeks, and I've gone over the mathematics of "detection sampling."
I just sent off two articles detailing all my findings and recommendations
to ABJ--it will be published in Jan.  A third article on treatment methods
will follow.
In short, I think the standard sampling method with a 10-bee sample is
woefully inadequate!
What part of the colony you sample from, and even the time of day are
critical.

The articles will describe, with a series of photos, three different
sampling techniques and preparation for individual colonies, yards, and
whole operations.
I also describe the microscopy involved, and make recommendations for
microscope models (and have swung a small bonus for beekeepers from one
microscope vendor).

I'm about to set up a 100-colony test of various nosema treatments.  I'm
also going to standardize a quick "triage" method of determinining nosema
levels in the beeyard, or back at home.  I am happy to accept donations to
help fund my research, the results of which will be published in ABJ, and
subsequently posted to my website for free access by all.

Randy Oliver