From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:17:36 -0400
My son is a birder and birds do have a language of sorts. They have a
spring song, warning or alert song, mating songs, and I am sure a host
more. He can identify the specific bird before he sees them, an
excellent skill since he is colorblind, and can call to them and get a
response.

Also, we tend to think that other species a hear like we do, but many
have broader ranges of hearing either lower, higher or both. Think Fido.

When you get into the world of harmonics and carrier waves I think we
are venturing beyond Occam's Razor. It would seem that a species would
keep language as simple as possible to convey information. It took some
time before FM radio came along because it was more complex and not
intuitive.I have some difficulty trying to determine just how an
organism would create a carrier wave and modulate it to convey
information. Nature operates mostly on KISS.

It is nice that it is spring and we are talking about the birds and the
bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine