From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:03:23 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I am to do some research for a club report on swarm lures & traps. I had
> little luck so far with the web and BEE-L archives. Maybe someone can point
> the way or offer some comments.
>
>   I know about paper pulp traps but what lures are used? Pheremones? How can
> one have better luck luring swarms into an empty hive?

I use the pulp traps with pheromone lures.  I find that it is important where
in the trap the lures are placed.  At first I tacked them to the bottom, near
the entrance hole, but found that several of the swarms settled on the outside
of the traps and started to make comb there.  Naturally, these were quite
difficult to transport and resettle in new hives.  Now I tack the lures up near
the covers, and the bees enter as expected.

I also found from sad experience that when you have traps up you must check
them very frequently.  If you can't get to an area often, don't set up a trap
there.  I have had swarms very quickly build comb, start brood and store honey,
especially if it's a large swarm.  The new comb is soft, the summer is hot, and
the result is a huge mess.  Now, I only put up traps where I can check them
every day or two.

It is also interesting that sometimes the scout bees love being near the
pheromone lures, and I see lots of activity around the trap.  When I look in
there is nothing except a cluster of about 25 bees, which stay around for
weeks!

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA